Placido Domingo has undergone surgery for colon cancer, a spokesman for the opera singer has said
By Stephen Adams, Arts Correspondent
He had a cancerous polyp removed last week at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, said Nancy Seltzer.
He was released on Monday.
Ms Seltzer said that the cancerous growth was small and that Domingo was expected to make a full recovery.
Last month she announced that he was to pull out of five March performances of Handel's Tamerlano at the Royal Opera House to undergo what she described as "medically recommended preventive surgery".
At the time she refused to say why he needed to undergo surgery, telling the New York Times: "Aren't certain things allowed to be private?"
Each year more than 37,500 people are diagnosed with bowel cancer in Britain, according to Cancer Research UK. It is the third most common cancer in British men, after prostate and lung cancer.
"Research suggests over 90 per cent of bowel cancer patients will survive the disease for more than five years if diagnosed at the earliest stage," according to the charity.
Domingo, 69, is now expected to resume his singing schedule at Milan's Teatro alla Scala on April 16 with a performance of Verdi's Simon Boccanegra.
It is hoped that he will also be fit to return to the Royal Opera House in June, when he is due to take on the baritone title role in the composer's 1881 version of the opera.
Kurt Streit, the American tenor, has taken Domingo's place for the fiveTamerlano performances.
The Royal Opera House gave those who had bought tickets to see Domingo's performances a 20 per cent credit note "in recognition of the withdrawal of such an exceptional artist in a rarely-performed opera".
Domingo will continue as general director of the Los Angeles Opera and the Washington National Opera.